[Marxism] "We need to take control of policing and justice away from Lond...

Jscotlive at aol.com Jscotlive at aol.com
Fri Dec 8 01:39:49 MST 2006

lueko.willms at t-online.de writes:

I  have taken the central sentence as the subject line of my
contribution.  And that is the real issue here which Adams, Sinn Féin and
the Irish  nationalists are tackling with: "we need to take control of
policing and  justice away from London". This is a very central demand on
the way  towards a united and independent Ireland.

Reply:

No, it is not. It is the acquiescence in a process designed to maintain the
Union by changing the form of control. The GFA, as with devolution in Scotland
 and Wales, was and is designed to nullify separatist movements by ceding
them  devolved powers. The biggest threat to the continuance of the UK was the
Republican movement. Now that it has been neutered the British ruling class can
 continue to play the role of willing lieutenant to US imperialism and enjoy
the  fruits to be had in this role. That is, until the Iraqi resistance proved
to be  the rock upon which the neocon project has floundered. The Adams
leadership's  embracing of neoliberalism had been tantamount to a betrayal of the
principles  for which so many sacrificed their lives and their liberty - not
only in the Six  Counties, but around the world.

JD