[Marxism] The Empire in Africa

Bob Wood bobwood1 at btopenworld.com
Fri Dec 8 05:48:19 MST 2006

A couple of months ago, I went to see "The Empire in Africa" in Leeds, with
my daughter, who was born in Sierra Leone, and you are quite right, Louis,
it is a magnificent film, achieving a balance that none of the media seemed
capable of during the civil war itself.

Earlier this year I wrote an assessment of the civil war which is consistent
with the message of the filem and which concluded:

"The turning point in Sierra Leone's civil war was the period in the late
nineties, when the army disintegrated. Both the government and the RUF
appear to have lost control of the situation, and the traumatised country
underwent what might be described as a collective psychotic episode. To
blame Sankoh and the RUF for excesses carried out by ex-RUF forces probably
makes even less sense than to blame Kabbah and the government for the
excesses of ex-SLA forces.
A proper history of the RUF remains to be written, but it is clear that it
did not stay static during the period from its inception to its demise. Much
of what has been written about it assumes an unchanging character, and often
fails to distinguish between its leadership and its base. There is nothing
lumpen about, for example, Omrie Golley, who represented the RUF in the
later stages of the war, and who is described by Gberie as an 'urbane and
articulate British-trained lawyer'. And the global categorisation of the RUF's
base as lumpen is problematic too. Petty criminals, high on drink and drugs,
who also took an interest in the ideas of Nkrumah and Fanon? It hardly seems
likely.

 The status quo ante has been re-established with the help of a huge
deployment of UN and British troops, and it is business as usual for the
unreconstructed 'colonial' state. The British are retraining the army for
the umpteenth time. Proposals have been put forward for the privatisation of
the company which provides Freetown's water supply. Political and economic
corruption is once again widespread, and the country is only one place above
the bottom in the UN's Human Development index. All the conditions that gave
rise to the civil war are falling slowly back into place."

The full article can be accessed at:

http://www.workersaction.org.uk/

Click on current issue, and then 'Civil War in Sierra Leone'.

Bob Wood