[Marxism] In the Pit

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 8 11:17:31 MST 2006

A couple of nights ago I went to a press screening for "In the Pit" (En el
hoyo), a Mexican documentary by Juan Carlos Rulfo (son of a famous
novelist) that will open soon in New York. Since it was focused on
construction workers involved with a massive new elevated highway in Mexico
City, I came with expectations that the film would be about class conflict
and labor struggles. After the first 10 minutes or so, I began to feel a
sense of disappointment after discovering that "In the Pit" had more in
common with PBS documentaries on the building of the Brooklyn Bridge or
Hoover Dam than it did with the labor movement. But after making some
adjustments, I can recommend the film without qualifications for its formal
elegance and for its willingness to give a voice to ordinary workers.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2006/12/08/in-the-pit/

--

www.marxmail.org