[Marxism] Fighting repression on campus

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Dec 9 10:29:17 MST 2006

With the recent repression on college campuses from the Dirty Thirty
at UCLA, where Peter McLaren leads off as the number one threat at
UCLA to Ward Churchill recently being fired from University of
Colorado, Bolder, there is a need to call attention to a new
conservative agenda unfolding throughout the nation on college
campuses. There has been an increasing amount of articles in the
Journal of Critical Education Policy Studies on the conservative
agenda forcing its way on campus (Hill 2003; Leher 2004; Lipman 2004;
and Malott 2006), but nothing specifically on academic repression. In
this paper I will discuss the popularization of academic repression
throughout the U.S. to professors post-September 11, 2001. As the
academy becomes a battlefield of public opinion, which will in the
end determine the war on terrorism and who is and who is not a
terrorist and therefore a threat. This paper is not intended to
provide a historical outline of academic repression in the U.S., but
a brief overview, which acts as a stepping point to the main topic of
the paper, the 4Ss of academic repression. After explaining the
current political atmosphere and providing four examples of academic
repression post-September 11, 2001, I discuss the possible future if
repression is not resisted, by providing my examination of the FBI
Academy. In closing, this article stressed the importance of
solidarity between academics and activists in order to respond to
academic repression affectively.

full: http://www.jceps.com/?pageID=article&articleID=73