[Marxism] blood diamonds

gregory meyerson gmeyerson at triad.rr.com
Sun Dec 10 10:15:16 MST 2006

one more movie comment.  I'm supposed to be grading, but I keep
thinking about the film, why it bugged me so much.

there are no africans (apart from danny archer, the white rhodesian)
with real agency in the film, apart from the sociopaths.  it is the
reporter, and danny archer who exercise the determining direction in
the film.  it is they who save solomon's life repeatedly.  the man who
runs the deprogramming of RUF brainwashed child infantry, a very good
guy, but naive--he too is ultimately saved by danny archer, the
mercenary with the heart in process of becoming gold, so to speak.  and
it is the conscience of the west that ultimately triumphs over the
moments of cynicism represented periodically in speeches by the
reporter and the mercenary.

mel gibson and sigourney weaver all over again from "the year of living
dangerously."  except, in this film, we have the kimberly process as
well.

Imagine: make the reporter something other than a gorgeous euro
american woman, huh?  throw doubt on the kimberly process.  maybe have
the guy who runs the charity save the mercenary's life instead of vice
versa.  this would have greatly altered the movie's "structure of
feeling."

in heart of darkness, black africans exercise no positive agency though
some are "noble."  this movie is no repeat of heart of darkness.  too
much liberal multiculturalism for that.  but it doesn't break with it
enough for my taste.

okay. bye.