[Marxism] NYFCO awards

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 10 16:15:47 MST 2006

Just got back from our yearly meeting. There were about 25 people
there, including Rex Reed, who used to be a fixture on late night TV
talk shows in the 1970s. As might be expected, the awards were a bit
more adventurous than those handed out at the Oscars, which is really
has an incestuous relationship to the studios. The animated film that
got an award, btw, was highly touted by Alex Cockburn in the latest
Counterpunch. It appears to be about declining fish stocks, an issue
that I regard as highly important. I will try to see it this week,
and possibly Apocalypto and Blood Diamonds while I am at it.

TO: FILM PUBLICISTS

For Immediate Release
Contact Harvey Karten
harveycritic at gmail.com
(718) 596-2686
TO: The Entertainment Media

NY FILM CRITICS ONLINE AWARDS FOR 2006

New York Film Critics Online is composed of major reviewers
in the New York area who work exclusively for online
publications or for print/broadcast media with a strong online
presence. The twenty-six members (NYFCO.ORG) met at
O'Neal's Restaurant, 49 W 64 Street in Manhattan on December
10th, 2006, and voted for these awards:

Picture
THE QUEEN

Director
STEPHEN FREARS - The Queen

Screenplay
PETER MORGAN - The Queen

Cinematography
DICK POPE - The Illusionist

Actor
FOREST WHITAKER - The Last King of Scotland

Actress
HELEN MIRREN - The Queen

Supporting Actor
MICHAEL SHEEN - The Queen

Supporting Actress
JENNIFER HUDSON - Dreamgirls (tie)
CATHERINE O'HARA - For Your Consideration (tie)

Ensemble Cast
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

Debut as Director
JONATHAN DAYTON, VALERIE FARIS - Little Miss Sunshine

Breakthrough Performer
JENNIFER HUDSON - Dreamgirls

Film Score
PHILIP GLASS - The Illusionist

Documentary Feature
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

Animated Feature
HAPPY FEET

Foreign Language Picture
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Humanitarian Award
DEEPA MEHTA (Water) for taking risks to create films about
the difficulties of social change in India especially as it affects
women.

Ten Best Pictures (Alphabetical)
BABEL (Paramount Vantage)
THE FOUNTAIN (Warner Bros.)