[Marxism] Winston Churchill refutes the Brenner thesis

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 12 21:04:02 MST 2006

Hi Lajany

Didn't I just  say this? Moreover, if overseas colonies are not
sufficient, then what else is necessary? That's why I cited the paper
that I did--it points to the importance of overseas colonies
enriching and empowering merchants to carry out political revolution.

"The refutation of Churchill given by www.leninology.blogspot.com is
logically flawed. Churchill statement that possession of overseas
colonies was a necessary condition for the development of British
capitalism is not the same as "the possession of colonies leads to the
development of capitalism," as www.leninology.blogspot.com seems to
imply. Thus Showing, as www.leninology.blogspot.com does, that the
possession of colonies in the case of Spain did not lead it to become
the greatest capitalist power of the time does nothing whatsoever to
dent Churchill's argument that the posession of colonies was in fact
necessary for the develepment of British capitalism.

In otherwords, saying that A is a necessary condition for B is not
equivalent to saying that A is a sufficient condition for B."

http://ssrn.com/abstract_id=355880

The Rise of Europe: Atlantic Trade, Institutional
Change and Economic Growth
  Daron Acemoglu
MIT; NBER; CEPR
  Simon H. Johnson
MIT; NBER
  James A. Robinson
University of California, Berkeley; CEPR

my quick conclusion from this paper.

Don't think English agrarian capitalism was a sufficient or necessary
cause of the Industrial revolution. Agarian sector provided neither
necessary material inputs nor markets nor labour for industrial
revolution. Drawing from Robt Allen, Pomeranz makes this point
against Brenner (and implicitly Wood who does not address it in her
Origins book). Seems unrefuted to me at this point.

To question of why English not Iberians, first question why NW Europe
and not Genoa or Venice or the Yangtze valley...Seems clear that the
Atlantic trade was crucial difference.

Absolutism too strong for successful merchant revolution in Portugal
and Spain, but that does not prove Atlantic trade not a necessary
condition for industrial take and consequent great divergence.
Merchants took political power in Holland but the Dutch  lost control
of the Atlantic trade. Again underlines importance of Atlantic trade.

Rakesh