[Marxism] Rats deserting stinking ship

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Dec 13 15:51:31 MST 2006

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au wrote, "I doubt if honour will have much to do with
it though there might be talk of that.  What really is bugging the Bushites
is the prospect of military defeat."

Well, on one level, it's just another way of saying the same thing...but
what the ruling class is looking at here is not just a military defeat, but
a very special kind of defeat...where the world's single surviving
superpower called in all its markers to invade and occupy the place.

Those not as committed are flaking away...including the UK....  The only
thing that would be worse is for the US itself to admit defeat by pulling
out.  I suspect all of us agree that this, ultimately, will be the outcome.

The only question is how long and how much blood it will take to reach that
point.

And it ultimately doesn't matter whether Afghanistan is perceived as a "good
war" or a "justifiable invasion" or not.  It's a tar-baby (I like the
analogy) made of the same stuff....  The same choice will have to be made
there.

In either place, the deeper the Republican upper teeth and the Democratic
lower teeth sink into this sasquatch--and the longer they decide to bite
down--the higher their dental bill is going to be.

ML