[Marxism] ICE Sweep Was Largest Ever Against One Firm

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 13 22:13:02 MST 2006

Mark says, "It might be just my preoccupations, Joaquin, but I've never
heard of these
deportations, though I'm not surprised."

ICE Sweep Was Largest Ever Against One Firm

By Spencer S. Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 14, 2006; Page A09

The immigration raids on meatpacking plants in six states were the largest
sweep of their kind against a single company and resulted in the arrests of
1,282 suspected illegal immigrants, Homeland Security Secretary Michael
Chertoff said yesterday.

The raids early Tuesday of facilities owned by meatpacking giant Swift &
Co., based in Greeley, Colo., were followed by immigration charges against
18 percent of the 7,250 workers scheduled to work the morning shift,
Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said. More than 100 people
were charged with crimes that included identity theft, Chertoff said, and
that number is expected to grow. Federal and company officials estimated
that 30 percent to 40 percent of Swift's workers had questionable
documents....

Chertoff acknowledged Swift's voluntary participation in a federal program
that allows companies to electronically verify Social Security numbers,
noting that the company was not charged Tuesday. But he said that the system
does not detect identity theft, and that companies cannot rely on the "Basic
Pilot" program as a "magic bullet" to satisfy the law if they see other
signs of fraud.

Chertoff called for Congress to allow the Social Security Administration to
identify and share information with enforcement agencies when numbers are
used multiple times. Some Social Security numbers have been used at 200
workplaces, authorities said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/13/AR2006121301
947.html