[Marxism] Green Party statement

DCQ deeseekyou at comcast.net
Fri Dec 15 03:59:42 MST 2006

Two things Mark.

1) I'm all for impeachment of Bush and Cheney. I'd like nothing more
than to see them and Rumsfeld and a whole host of other rotting in
prison. (Please don't make me out to be some ultra-leftist.) My
criticisms of McKinney are that this is seen--at least here in Georgia
for the most part--as a useless gesture, something she just wanted to
do to have in the list of accomplishments. If she actually wanted to
push this, she could have done so at any time in the last two years.
But then she would have had to do several things: argue for and defend
her position, make a sincere effort to push the position and get others
to support it, and have an open debate with her own party. She was
willing to do none of this. Instead, she introduces this after losing
the primary to a pathetic no-name Republican stooge posing as a
Democrat. But not only that, she waits until literally the last few
days before the end of the Congress. McKinney is not stupid. She is an
accomplished politician who knows very well how to play the political
game, and appease liberals on the ground without angering her
Democratic paymasters. Failing to recognize this, we come across as, at
best, political neophytes, and, at worst, tools.

2) Again, I'm fine with the GP supporting the impeachment articles.
Woohoo! I was criticizing their approach, which is to do little other
than tail McKinney. One of the Georgia Green Party's stated goal is to
get McKinney to become a green. (It often seems like their only goals.)
That's not a totally outlandish position, even if I'd like to raise
some thorny political points and clarify some issues and principles.
But even if that's the goal, then the GGP's tactic, which is
enthusiastic and uncritical support (to the point of toadying), is
problematic not only because it is questionable in terms of principles,
but because it's a bone-headed tactic. Why would she leave the
Democrats is her left-oppposition never criticizes her? There's
electoral politics. And then there's electoral cretinism.

soli,
DCQ