[Marxism] The Myths of "Democracy Assistance"

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 15 13:54:01 MST 2006

The Myths of 'Democracy Assistance': U.S. Political Intervention in
Post-Soviet Eastern Europe
by Gerald Sussman

"We are at present working discreetly with all our might to wrest this
mysterious force called sovereignty out of the clutches of the local nation
states of the world."

--Arnold Toynbee, 1931

One of the notable shifts in post-Soviet world politics is the almost
unimpeded involvement of Western agents, consultants, and public and
private institutions in the management of national election processes
around the world--including those in the former Soviet allied states. As
communist party apparatuses in those countries began to collapse by the
late 1980s and in almost bloodless fashion gave way to emerging political
forces, the West, especially the United States, was quick to intercede in
their political and economic affairs. The methods of manipulating foreign
elections have been modified since the heyday of CIA cloak and dagger
operations, but the general objectives of imperial rule are unchanged.
Today, the U.S. government relies less on the CIA in most cases and more on
the relatively transparent initiatives undertaken by such public and
private organizations as the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), the
U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Freedom House, George
Soros's Open Society, and a network of other well-financed globetrotting
public and private professional political organizations, primarily
American, operating in the service of the state's parallel neoliberal
economic and political objectives. Allen Weinstein, who helped establish
NED, noted: "A lot of what we [NED] do today was done covertly 25 years ago
by the CIA."

full: http://www.monthlyreview.org/1206sussman.htm

--

www.marxmail.org