[Marxism] 1300 spics to the U.S. working class

Kathleen de la Peña McCook kmccook at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 16 05:55:53 MST 2006

I hate that word, I really do.
I have been working on this with Latino library groups.
UFCW is a central palce to provide support.:http://www.ufcw.org/

How Will Librarians Address Human Rights Issues Resulting from
Immigration Raids at Swift?
http://librarian.lishost.org/?p=625
=======
 How Will Librarians Help Union Workers at Swift?
http://unionlibrarian.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-will-librarians-help-
union-workers.html
=============

 Justice Deported. Boycott Smithfield
http://unionlibrarian.blogspot.com/2006/12/justice-deported-boycott-
smithfield.html
========
--Kathleen de la Pena McCook

========

On 15 Dec 2006 at 19:29, robert montgomery wrote:

Joaquin wrote in the Zweig-Roediger thread:
>>Black and white, unite and fight. Do you know what the sentiment is
among many Latinos right now? "Go put a leash on your mad-dog
immigration Gestapo, and THEN we'll talk about a
union."  I notice there's not been a peep on this list about the
Swift
raids. Big
fucking deal. What's 1300 spics to the U.S. working class, right?<<

I just received this from the UMass Labor Center list serve this a.m.
sent by a leading Solidarity member.

"Hi everyone, I'm not sure if you've been following the news about
the
raids that took place this week at 6 Swift & Co. meatpacking plants
in
6 states. Military came in at dawn into the plants
and arrested people, and apparently held them in National Guard
camps.

This operation resulted in 1,282 arrests, and is being called the
largest single-employer raid ever. This is part of Homeland
Security's
"Operation Wagon Train."

It seems a mysterious coincidence that of the 6 plants that were
raided, 5 are unionized. It also seems coincidental timing with the
large, public campaign going on right now at Smithfield.

There are protests going on in a few cities, but you also might take
this opportunity to figure out ways to support the Smithfield
campaign
if you haven't already: http://www.smithfieldjustice.com/"

JB are you still going to tell me that the class and race quaestion
do
not intersect? And that the labor movement in the U.S. is a single,
race-privileged white monolith. Previous posts show that you don't
really believe this so  why persist in this race-baiting?

YOU MUST clip all extraneous text before replying to a message.
Send list submissions to: Marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu
Set your options at: