[Marxism] Monthly Review needs money!

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Dec 16 07:54:03 MST 2006

At 11:46 PM 12/15/2006, you wrote:
>Monthly Review has been in continuous publication, eleven issues a
>year, since May 1949.  It is certainly one of the most important
>publications on the left worldwide.  Monthly Review Press has, since
>the early 1950s, published a very large number of radical
>classics.  In July 2005, we began a webzine, mrzine, and it has
>steadily gained readership and a diverse group of authors.
>
>Monthly Review has always been generous in terms of sharing
>resources and articles.  All MR articles are made available on the
>web the month they are published.  We always give comrades in poor
>countries free permission to publish our books and our articles.
>
>All of this is done on a shoestring budget and with an overworked
>staff.  To make ends meet, we have to rely on our readers and
>friends.  Hence this appeal.  We need relief now!  So if you can
>find it in your heart to make a donation to Monthly Review, please
>do so and do it today.  You can contribute by calling
>1-800-670-9499.  Or go to either the MR website
>(www.monthlyreview.org) or the mrzine site (www.mrzine.org) and
>click on the PayPal logo. Finally, you can mail a check to Monthly
>Review, 146 W. 29th Street, Suite #6W, New York NY 10001.
>
>Michael Yates, Associate Editor

I want to endorse this call and will send in $50 myself today. Here's
the reason why.

Monthly Review is an indispensable source of information and analysis
for anti-imperialist activists just like us. From its inception, MR
has always understood the importance of Marx's observation that the
English working class would never be free as long as Ireland was
under the English yoke. Recent discussions on the list have
emphasized the importance of the national question. While we have
obligations as activists to support struggles of oppressed
nationalities, we also have an obligation to support scholarship that
promotes these struggles as well.

Please be generous.