[Marxism] re the desk of Chavez

michael a. lebowitz mlebowit at sfu.ca
Sat Dec 16 21:15:03 MST 2006

David asked me to pass on a few things. There's really lots that
hasn't been picked up about Chavez's speech last night. I've done a
short piece on it that should show up on MRZine tomorrow. Suffice it
to say that the party as he spoke about it yesterday is not at all
what people anticipated. As for the PCV, it (like the others) will
have a choice-- make a decision quickly because the bus is leaving.
Not much heard about the PRS these days (except that I heard that it
split). As for the C-CURA tendency, it's been pretty quiet and in
fact the only real activity of interest lately among workers seems to
be the activity of the CMR, the tendency linked to Alan Woods, which
has been working in the area of recovered factories.
         michael

I've head that it will include the Venezuelan Communist Party. That should make
it interesting, for better or for worse. The other party of interest is the
PSR, that will likely remain outside this new formation. The PSR is basically
the political caucus of the C-CURA majority tendency in the UNT. I have no idea
what they *actually do* besides offer press announcements, but they are worth
following because they represent the political perspectives of the UNT, which
is important, obviously. I'm sure Michael L. in Caracas will keep us informed.
Like a shot of tequila with plenty of salt on the wrist, I also look forward to
Carlos' sojourn there and reportage...

I think we've paid far to little attention to the goings on in Caracas on this
list. Maybe this will now change.

David

Michael A. Lebowitz

Professor Emeritus

Economics Department

Simon Fraser University

Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela.

NOTE NEW PHONE NUMBERS

Can be reached at

Residencias Anauco Suites

Departamento 601

Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1

Caracas, Venezuela

(58-212) 573-6333, 571-1520, 571-3820 (or hotel cell: 0412-200-7540)

fax: (58-212) 573-7724