[Marxism] Class and the "parenting gap" : NYT

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sat Dec 16 21:58:26 MST 2006

Apologies to Robert Owen, but he was dead wrong on this.  He had the excuse
of being honestly and honorably wrong, because it hadn't been tried.

After over 150 years, though, can't we just give up on this delusion.  Most
recently, these institutions and structures also set for themselves the task
of eliminating race and racism, etc.  I dare say, any consideration of
practical results would have to concede that it really hasn't gone well at
all.

It is a depressing reality that the entire educational system--top to bottom
and every nook and cranny--exists to maintain the status quo, including
class distinctions...and most definitely NOT to equalize things and
eliminate class.  And every single "progressive" educational reform
introduced allegedly to do the latter always ends up doing the former.

It's an institutionally embedded outcome.

ML