[Marxism] Talkin about a union and the Swift raids

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 22:24:43 MST 2006

On 12/16/06, Joaquin Bustelo <jbustelo at bellsouth.net> wrote:

 This news was out there all day Tuesday, and the truth is
> people simply didn't notice it, the newspapers and TV stations buried it
> as
> just a ho-hum story of some more latinos getting deported, same old same
> old, and judging by the reaction on this and other lists, they even got
> most
> white radicals to unthinkingly go along with that view of events. Whereas
> among Latinos, and not just radicals but regular people on the street, it
> was topic #1 as soon as they news came out.

Immigrants' Families Figuring Out What to Do After Federal Raids

By JULIA PRESTON

Dec 17 2006
The New York Times

Full: <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/16/washington/16immig.html>

Immigrant families scrambled yesterday to find detained relatives, arrange
care for children of deported parents and recover from the loss of work as a
result of raids this week by immigration authorities at meat-packing plants
in six states.

The raids, part of a federal operation against identity theft, had stunning
effects on the surrounding towns, residents said. In all, 1,282 legal and
illegal immigrants were arrested, and in most cases the plants, all operated
by Swift & Company of Greeley, Colo., were the largest employer around.

"Many people are still very frightened," Mayor Luis Aguilar of Cactus, Tex.,
said.

In Cactus, 275 employees were arrested.

In Worthington, Minn., with 230 arrests, residents said dozens of immigrants
had gone into hiding.

"I've never seen anything like it, the sadness, the emptiness, the fear," a
schoolteacher, Barbara Kremer, said. Ms. Kremer said she had provided
shelter in her house since the raid for 24 immigrants who were afraid to
return to their homes.

The raids, by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, netted dozens of
immigrants who were legal residents but did not have their papers with them
at work. Others arrested were illegal who have to leave the country or face
deportation.

Many have children or spouses who are legal residents or Americans, and they
have to decide whether the families will stay here or return to their home
countries. [..]
Full: <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/16/washington/16immig.html>