[Marxism] Monthly Review needs money!

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 20:21:26 MST 2006

On 12/16/06, Gilles d'Aymery <aymery at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> In the past four years or so none of you has financially contributed to Swans.

Michael Yates has asked for money here, in a nice manner, have you?
So why complain then, do you think I look at my bills and bank balance
at the end of the month and think, hmm, I wonder if Swans needs more
money?  I sent money to Democracy Now recently.  Let's look at their
about page:

"Democracy Now! is funded entirely through contributions from
listeners, viewers, and foundations. We do not accept advertisers,
donations from corporations, or donations from governments. This
allows us to maintain our independence."

I will be sending money to Counterpunch next year.  Here's their
frequently asked questions page -

"CounterPunch relies solely upon the generosity of its supporters  and
subscription fees to maintain the CounterPunch Website, which is a
costly affair."

And not to give anyone here a heart attack about me reading this (like
I almost did to the guy at Revolution Books when I talked about the
revolution coming by one big union having a general strike), but what
does the FRONT PAGE of syndicalist.org say, as it says in every issue
of Anarcho-Syndicalist Review?

"Anarcho-Syndicalist Review is published by dedicated volunteers,
often at considerable personal expense and requires a lot of extra
time to produce...Currently we face a personal deficit of $5,335.87
(US)...Since our needs are ongoing, we request that you set these
donations up at regular monthly intervals of $5.00 (US). "

Now what do we see on your web page?  I see a button that says donate,
but since I don't know you need money I'm not going to click that.  On
Counterpunch and Democracy Now, the donate button takes me right to
the credit card thing, not to an explanation of why I should donate
(which I've already decided to do, so why explain it now?).  So how do
I know Swans needs money?  Not from YOUR about page:

"Swans refuses advertising and condemns the commercialization of the
Web. The publication was created in the spring of 1996 by Gilles
d'Aymery and is sustained by a team of volunteers."

This makes it sound like it is sustained by a team of volunteers.  No
need of help from me.  Everyone else thanks people who have donated,
or mentions they need money, but not you.

I do notice that some time between March and now, after hitting page
down 8 or 9 times I see an announcement that says:

"Please support Swans. Put your money where your mind is." (with a
link to the donate page)

I also notice that that link was not there up until this year, where
you had five contributors, and this year that link is there and you
have 18 people/couples donating, and got more money this year than in
the all the years before.

In fact I don't even see the donate button until May of 2005.

Then you blow your top here that you're not getting any money.

As the good book says, don't hide your light under a bushel - ask and
ye shall receive.