[Marxism] Talkin about a union and the Swift raids

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 21:00:12 MST 2006

On 12/17/06, Jon Flanders <jonflanders at jflan.net> wrote:

> I brought some information about the raids into my workplace and tried
> to get a discussion started.
>
> Among other things I was told that it is "tough to get things going when
> your own gig is going OK and its pretty cold outside."

New York Times editorial on the Swift Raids:

Full: <
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/18/opinion/18mon1.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>

"The raids have led some people to heap scorn on Swift and, of course, on
the illegal immigrants, particularly the dozens of detainees who have been
charged with identity theft and other crimes. But doing so misses the bigger
picture. Swift and its workers are merely Exhibit A in an immigration system
that is failing in all of its parts. [...]

"The American economy wouldn't stand the shock if the Swift raids were
multiplied to levels beyond the merely symbolic. [...]

"The system needs what Mr. Bush and Congress have refused to give it: a way
to end the sham. Comprehensive immigration reform is good for the economy,
giving companies access to a secure and stable work force. It is good for
national security, allowing law enforcement to go after real criminals and
leave honest working people alone. And it is good for the immigrant workers
across the country, terrorized by Tuesday's raids, who just want to keep
doing their jobs, no matter how hard and distasteful."