[Marxism] White House and military at odds on Iraq

Intense Red intnsred at golgotha.net
Tue Dec 19 14:24:57 MST 2006

 > I am inclined to think that Bush will go along with the surge option and
 > that will be the final nail.

   I agree.  However, with that said, the thing I worry about -- and what may
possibly be generating the strident opposition by the brass -- is that the
troop buildup, combined with the concurrent naval buildup to do gunboat
diplomacy to Iran, will be the required pieces that Bush needs in place to
launch an attack on Iran.

   Far-fetched?  Sure.  But on the other hand, many are telling Bush that a
buildup of 20-40,000 won't make a difference, and with him thinking of his
legacy, and the Israeli lobby wanting Iran taken out, along with the neocon
dream of revamping the entire Middle East, Bush/Cheney may calculate that the
best chance of solving all those "problems" is to expand the war and to hope
to undermine Iran's power.  Admittedly, politically Bush's position is weak.
But once bombs start to fall in Iran, he could count on some additional
support in some sectors.

   Let's hope it is far-fetched...

--
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying
the cross." -- Sinclair Lewis, 1935.