[Marxism] Talkin about a union and the Swift raids

dwalters at marxists.org dwalters at marxists.org
Thu Dec 21 12:35:58 MST 2006

If I may make a point on this. . .

The slogan of "Black , Brown and white unite and fight" is fine, and is a worthy
goal. Certainly this one of the main reasons for US unions today since unions
are organized around the issue uniting all components of the US working class
regardles of nationality or language or color.

But...often this slogan has been used, and by this I'm thinking of the CP but it
can apply to other groups across ideological lines, as a way of *preventing* the
self-organization of oppressed sections of the working class. In the current
discussion, I think everyone on this list is for union organizing with an
emphisis on immgirant labor. But immigrant labor, or immigrants, or "brown"
people should have to wait until unions as multi-racial organizations are
organized. One of the basic ideas behind that slogan is that the specially
oppressed should fight only for multi-racial organizations and this is an error
IMO.

Immigrants should (as they have been doing) organizing their own groups,
"unions", community organizations as manifestations of their *own self-defense*
and not waiting until the general white and native-born come up to their level
of organization or consiuosness. These organizations can thrive because they
lead by the same people who are organizing them and they do what they have to
defend their communities. I think this is key. Of course any independent such
organizations would be suicidal to reject united front with multi-racial
organiztions or political tendencies outside their own community, but that is a
question of tactics and the approach these other organizations take toward the
ones in question.

I think the "Black , Brown and white unite and fight" is good if it used with
the above understanding that no oppressed community should ever have to 'move
in their own defense' while waiting for such united action.

David