[Marxism] On the 5th anniversary

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Dec 22 05:10:15 MST 2006

As an antidote to recent misinfo, I suggest that Marxmail members
read the list archives, where they will find the on-the-spot reports
I sent from Buenos Aires 5 years ago.

But first things first: for the first time in long months, Popetroni
has not misinformed. Yes, there has been a mobilisation of the "Left"
in commemoration of the 19 and 20. It wasn't as large as he states,
and in fact almost nobody paid attention to it, but OK, let the kids
enjoy.

However, there IS a lie in the whole thing. To begin with, there was
not an "Argentinazo" in 2001. The mobilisations are widely known here
as "cacerolazo" (for the pan-banging which threw De La Rúa and
Cavallo to the dustbin). When the "Argentinazos" come, they find the
"Left" on the other side; e.g., October 17 1945. But this is not a
lie, this is just a misnaming, a result of deep ignorance of the
great currents of our history.

The lie is more important. With the Cacerolazo is happening exactly
what happened with the Cordobazo of 1969: a self-appointed "Left",
which had little or nothing to do with it, kidnaps it from actual
participants.

In Córdoba, 1969, the "Left" was "going to the neighborhoods" and
rejected the general strike that had been called by the "union
bureaucrats". People, instead, went to the strike and marched into
the town, the "union bureaucrats" together with the new student
leadership in the embattled streets of the city core, while the
"Left" found the neighborhoods empty.

In the "Cacerolazo" of 2001, the "Left" (particularly that which
gathered itself in the mobilisation this week) had little if any
organizative influence, and in fact during the 19th and 20th they
were very busy keeping their large red flags more than half a mile
away from the place where the events took place.

In Argentina, where we have LIVED THROUGH THE FACT, nobody but
themselves believes them. But, of course, this is not the case with
foreign readers. Marxmail subscribers are lucky, however, since _I_
was present at the mobilisations of 19th and 20th personally, and I
can testify that the "Left" kept itself far away from the heated core
of the events (save for Deputies Zamora and Ripoll, who at least
reached Plaza de Mayo), around the Obelisco.

Popetroni may, of course, quote Marx: "Will you believe _me_ or _your
own eyes_????!!!"

The quote comes, of course, from the Marxist line he follows: the one
organized as a sectarian cult around that great philosopher and
political analyst _Groucho_ Marx!

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar