[Marxism] The incredible disappearing Latino (was: David Bacon...)

gregory meyerson gmeyerson at triad.rr.com
Fri Dec 22 06:32:04 MST 2006

the left can't stomach latinos in general being more advanced than
their white counterparts?

  I (I'm a leftist too) would have thought that it was OBVIOUS that
Latino/a nonelites were more advanced than their white
counterparts--especially in the U.S:  understanding that we avoid
romanticizing one section of the non elite and demonizing the
other--note the avoidance of the term "working class" in order to avoid
more spurious discussion.

I have long assumed--with many of my leftist friends--that euro
americans were in general more won to individualism, militarism,
patriotism, racism, capitalism, market nonsense and anticommunism than
were Latino/a people in the U.S.--for all sorts of fairly
straightforward historical reasons.  I'd be frankly amazed if such
assertions made the u.s. left puke, as you suggest.  It also seems
obvious to me that the immigrant led movement against sweeps, homeland
detentions, for better working conditions for workers facing some of
the most oppressive environments, etc., is a major bright spot.

on the other hand, if this truth is allowed to feed the currents of
racial essentialism to which joaquin seems occasionally prone--well,
yeah, this leftist can't stomach it.

btw, the idea that multiracial unity would mean waiting for the most
retrograde elements of the union movement (who would likely be
euroamerican) to come around resembles no understanding of the concept
with which I am familiar.  mr working class unity is a response to
divide and conquer mechanisms as well as to the ethical needs of
solidarity.

now of course, if one thinks white workers benefit from all those
things (steve did not say this but joaquin says it--I think) mentioned
in my second paragraph, then mr unity involving euroamericans would
make a lot less sense.  for all practical purposes, no sense.