[Marxism] The disappearing Peronist legacy

Carlos Petroni cepetroni at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 26 02:35:57 MST 2006

John wrote:

"Argentina dragged its feet  on actively fighting Nazi
Germany. I also believe Juan Peron had active realtions
with the United States and  worked with them, against Cuba
and the Soviet Union."

By the time Peron won the elections and took power, the war was for all that
matters, over. Argentina remained neutral for most of the war period. Peron
did serve the interests of the US in spite the fact the US characterized him as
a nazi sympathizer.

As far as I know, Peron never took any particular initiative against the Soviet
Union or Cuba as he wanted to maintain a "third position" or neutrality in the
"East-West conflict."  On the contrary, Peron struck good businesses with
Cuba in the 1970s allowinng the export of cars, refrigerators, TV sets and
other stuff, effectively breaking the American blockade.

The funny thing is that most companies doing that were American subsidiaries,
they did it under consultation with the State Dept. and were never criiticized nor
sanctioned for that.

Lea todos los días análisis y articulos de izquierda y un servicio de noticias que se actualiza cada hora. Lea Izquierda Punto Info