[Marxism] The disappearing Peronist legacy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 26 12:50:18 MST 2006

Carlos P.:

>Once in power, Peron ordered the  dissolution of the
>Labor Party.  When Cipriano Reyes and others refused, they
>were incarcerated, tortured and remained in jail a number
>of years.

Well, Time Magazine claims that he was part of an
assassination plot. I wouldn't take Time Magazine
at face value normally, but it would seem to me
that if anything, they would be anxious to depict
Reyes as an innocent victim of a frameup.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,804822,00.html
 From the Magazine | Latin America
Inside Job

Posted Monday, Nov. 1, 1948

Sitting in Buenos Aires' Villa de Voto jail,
Labor Leader Cipriano Reyes (rhymes with Asia's)
might have been excused for wondering just what
had hit him. Most publicized catch in the
abortive assassination plot against President
Perón (TIME, Oct. 4), he was scheduled for trial
next month with eleven other defendants.
Meanwhile he was held in solitary; only his wife
and daughter could visit his cell.

Before he became an able and aggressive labor
leader, Cipriano Reyes was a circus tight-rope
walker, packinghouse worker and longshoreman. An
early Peronista, he helped the president to
power, later he broke with Perón. Through his
leadership of the small but active Laborista
party he turned to fighting Peronista control of
labor. From Buenos Aires last week leaked an
account of how a man with such savvy and
background could be sucked into a futile
conspiracy: Perón's police had mousetrapped him.

About two months ago, according to anti-Perón
sources in Buenos Aires, Air Force Lieutenants
"Puig" and "Pereyra" sought out Reyes and a
Laborista colleague, Dr. Walter Beveragge
Alfende. (Puig was really Police Lieut. Walter
Pereyra; Pereyra was Detective Inspector Salomon
Wasserman.) The officers had spun a yarn of a
highly organized air force plot to do away with
Perón. Laborista political backing was solicited.
To overcome Reyes' natural skepticism,
conspiratorial meetings were held in the Avenida
Quintana headquarters of the Civil Aviation
General Administration; Air Force General
Gregorio Velez, boss of civil aviation, gave a
masterly performance as leader of the plot. Laboristas took the bait.

October 12 was set as the day of the coup, and
General Velez ordered a final meeting at
headquarters for the night of Sept. 23. That
afternoon Reyes got a tipoff, frantically called
an emergency meeting at home to warn his
associates. But there was a double double-cross
and the police sprang the trap then & there. The
name of John Griffiths, onetime U.S. embassy
worker, was tossed in to give the conspiracy some
foreign color. He had once been friendly with Reyes.

When the dust settled, Perón was solider than
ever; the troublesome Laboristas were shattered, their top men in jail.