[Marxism] Re: Stalinism and the 1913 pamphlet on the national question [On Mexico]

dwalters at marxists.org dwalters at marxists.org
Thu Dec 28 13:23:31 MST 2006

CB wrote:

"I do think that the "national" analytical framework from the Bolsheviks may
be used creatively in the current context. An important part of the national
question is history. So, for example (a big example) , Mexican "immigrants"
to the U.S. have a lot of history to talk about since Texas, New Mexico,
Arizona, California, etc. used to be part of Mexico's national territory.
And clearly the U.S. took these territories by illegal aggression, illegal
by modern standards. So, in this case, history raises some serious questions
about who is and who is not an "immigrant" in these areas. A national
question historical analysis would be interesting on this score."

All true. However, it's also true that MEXICO'S claim to these territories was
ALSO illegal. They belonged to the first peoples of the area. At the time of
the Mexico/Texas war in 1836, I've seen estimates as low as 15,000 Spanish
speaking Mexicans for the *entire territory west of the Mississippi!* But 10
million native peoples. I think we have to start with Native claims before we
take seriously Mexico or the US claims.

David