[Marxism] Troubled Waters in Nepal (Granma)

Sukla Sen suklasenp at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 28 21:34:10 MST 2006

The history as recounted here is, even otherwise,
shallow, inaccurate and also grossly distorted.
Just two examples:
"Last April 24, cornered by every political and social
group which
demanded his resignation, the King agreed to sign the
12-point
agreement and to reinstate the House of
Representatives he had
previously dissolved."
The King, to my knowledge, only announced the
restoration of the parliament. He was not any party to
any such agreement as mentioned above. No one invited
him to be.

"In the late 1950s Nepal saw the dawning of one of the
first Asian
democracies ever, although from then on hunger, social
inequality and
abuse of power took root and, to a large or a lesser
extent, paved
the way for the beginning of a popular guerrilla war
in 1996."
That's evidently a grossly misleading, rather
downright false, account which deliberately glosses
over the criminal dissolutions of democratic regimes.

Sukla
--- Sayan Bhattacharyya

http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/2006/12/27/interna/artic02.html