[Marxism] 10 myths -- and 10 truths -- about atheism

Jeffrey Thomas Piercy, El Pato Comunista mqduck at sonic.net
Fri Dec 29 03:14:52 MST 2006

Walter Lippmann wrote:
> SEVERAL POLLS indicate that the term "atheism" has acquired such an
> extraordinary stigma in the United States that being an atheist is
> now a perfect impediment to a career in politics (in a way that being
> black, Muslim or homosexual is not). According to a recent Newsweek
> poll, only 37% of Americans would vote for an otherwise qualified
> atheist for president.
>
> Atheists are often imagined to be intolerant, immoral, depressed,
> blind to the beauty of nature and dogmatically closed to evidence of
> the supernatural.
>
> Even John Locke, one of the great patriarchs of the Enlightenment,
> believed that atheism was "not at all to be tolerated" because, he
> said, "promises, covenants and oaths, which are the bonds of human
> societies, can have no hold upon an atheist."
>
> That was more than 300 years ago. But in the United States today,
> little seems to have changed. A remarkable 87% of the population
> claims "never to doubt" the existence of God; fewer than 10% identify
> themselves as atheists — and their reputation appears to be
> deteriorating.

In the 2001 census, those who fell under the category of "No
Religion/Atheist/Agnostic" were 15% of the population. Even if these new
numbers are true, "less than 10%" is still probably higher than all
non-Christian religious folk combined, 5.2%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States#Popular_affiliation

Also, are you sure that more than 37% would say they'd vote for an
atheist president in the past? I wouldn't think it's a new trend.

Finally, in a June 24-27 poll 53% said no when asked if they "could vote
for a Muslim candidate for president" versus 34% who said yes. The first
time I saw that I was rather shocked at how conscious (and accepting)
people are of their own prejudice. It's like its actually PC to openly
distrust American Muslims.