[Marxism] sundry cultural stuff

Jacob Levich jlevich at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 31 20:51:56 MST 2006

It's a great, seminal work of literature that's worth looking up. But
somehow the Times always manages to get things at least slightly wrong --
wrong enough in this case that anyone wanting to find the source would be
frustrated. The song was inspired by Nezami's _Layla and Majnun_ -- an
800-year old _Persian_ romance based on a much older Arab folktale. I
imagine Clapton came across it because Sufi mysticism was briefly in vogue
during the 1960s.

The song "I Am Yours" on the same album, an excerpt from the longer poem, is
actually credited to Nezami.

Jake