[Marxism] 10 myths -- and 10 truths -- about atheism

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Sun Dec 31 09:52:33 MST 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:31:17 -0500 (EST), Walter Lippmann wrote:

  quoting a newspaper article:

> 7)

> There is, in fact, not a Christian on this Earth who can be certain
> that Jesus even wore a beard, much less that he was born of a virgin
> or rose from the dead. These are just not the sort of claims that
> spiritual experience can authenticate.

  Well, this Jesus must be the first known human clone.
Result of a sponaneous cloning act.

> 10) Atheism provides no basis for morality.
>
> If a person doesn't already understand that cruelty is wrong, he
> won't discover this by reading the Bible or the Koran â   as these
> books are bursting with celebrations of cruelty, both human and
> divine. We do not get our morality from religion. We decide what is
> good in our good books by recourse to moral intuitions that are (at
> some level) hard-wired in us and that have been refined by thousands
> of years of thinking about the causes and possibilities of human
> happiness.

  Here the author goes quite wrong, in my humble view. We get our morals
from our social existence, and from the relations of classes. There is
no institution outside of life itself from which morals do emanate.

  I recommend the Russian bolshevik's Leo Trotsky's fine article on
"Their Moral and Ours" on this subject.

  Overall, these 10 arguments are nice to read, but do not really answer
the question about religion -- religion being an alieneted form of
identifying with what is common to humanity, in the distorted form
produced by class society, born with class, state and private property,
and dammned to vanish with those social relations driving a wedge
between human beings.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany