[Marxism] Mari?tegui versus APRA

Juan Fajardo fajardos at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 1 12:06:48 MST 2006

Paul H. Dillon wrote:

> Juan,
>
> Most of what you've written is really splicing hairs

Yeah, it did come off that way, didn't it?  Sorry.

> Read Ivan DeGregori.

I have, and do I wish he had gotten to write the remining volumes.

 > The first official action of the war was burning amphorae in
 > Chuschi, in
 >
> ??This is ridiculous, really.   I'd really like to know your source.  I
> witnessed the Anchonga event (ie, heard about it the afteernoon it happened
> because I was on the other side of the valley from people I knew well).
> Everything I've read places the Chuschi action on the day of the election
> and to the best of my knowledge, the "amphora" weren't even available the
> day before the election to be burned. The fact that no one has reported
> Anchonga  has other reasons I guess.

The Chuschi action took place on May 17th, that's why Sendero marked May
17th as the anniversary of the People's War.   The election took place
on May 18th.

To be honest, I had been unaware of the Anchonga event, and would be
interested to learn more.

 > Sendero never established "liberated zones" per se.  It
 > established what it called Bases of Support run by
 > People's Committees.

Here I was quibbling, I guess, but not at all trying to discount your or
anyone else's lived experiences.

What I was trying to get at was that although Sendero did manage to get
areas that were "no go" zones for the state authorities, my impression
is that it itself did not consider them as "liberated" but as zones
always in contest, until later in the war when it finally declared them
Open People's Committee's.   That said, it is true that many of those
areas were not much in contest, and that Ssendero felt secure enough in
them to hold it's I Congress in one of them in Jan. 1988.

> Lima was always of greater importance.  In every town throughout the central
> Andes from southern Huamanga to Junin, migrants come and go from Lima daily,
> in many cases it is little more than one days travel in bouncing buses over
> unpaved highland roads to the coast and the linkages between migrant
> communities in Lima and the home communities in the Andes were key to the
> entire dynamic always a constant flow between the two.  Sendero really
> didn't take that into account which was one of their grreat strategic
> failures.

As I understand it, some of the first community-wide resistance to
Sendero started when it began to shut down the market fairs and close
off travel to Huamanga and other cities.  Is that your impression as well?

>>> Finally, the very name "shining path" or Sendero Luminoso, was taken
>>> directly from Mariategui's "Siete Ensays Sobre la Realidad Peruana.".
>>

> I have documents in which the PCP put Sendero Luminoso in big letters and PCP in small ones.

  El Diario always eschewed the term "Sendero Luminoso", IIRC, and other
than some leaflets of the FER from the 1970s, I don't see "Sendero
Luminoso" or a variant being used as a self-referent name by the party
in any of the documents that I have until a Guzman quote referring to
"SL" appeared in "Construir la Conquista del Poder en medio de la Guerra
Popular!", published in early 1991.

- Juan