[Marxism] Climate Shock: We're on Thin Ice, By Kelpie Wilson (book review)

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Mon Jan 2 08:58:40 MST 2006

http://www.truthout.org/issues_05/printer_123005EA.shtml

      Climate Shock: We're on Thin Ice
      By Kelpie Wilson
      t r u t h o u t | Review

      Friday 30 December 2005

      Thin Ice: Unlocking the Secrets of Climate
in the World's Highest Mountains
      By Mark Bowen
      Henry Holt, 2005

"In Sanskrit, Himalaya means 'abode of snow,' but
as crops and people die from lack of water while
watching the highest mountains on Earth turn from
white to black, that name may soon seem
grotesquely inappropriate."
-- Mark Bowen, Thin Ice

      Climate shock comes from the realization
that climate change is not only real, but huge;
it is not only huge, but it is now; and it will
affect your life very shortly. Not your
grandchildren's lives. Not your children's lives.
Your life. Soon - if it hasn't already.

      If you have not experienced climate shock
yet, you will when you read Thin Ice by Mark
Bowen. Thin Ice is the story of the scientific
team from Ohio State University, led by
researcher Lonnie Thompson, that has spent the
last two decades drilling ice cores in tropical
mountain glaciers. Their aim is to retrieve
information about climate history from the ice,
but there has been a race against time as these
glaciers melt, making new history.

      Thin Ice is an exciting adventure story. The
logistics of transporting the scientists and
their drilling equipment into the most
inaccessible places on Earth bring hair-raising
tales. The team members struggle with altitude
sickness, windstorms destroy the solar panels
that power their drill, crampons get stuck in
ladders deployed over widening crevasses, and the
crew tries to float ice core samples off the
mountain with a hot-air balloon.

[Š]

      Another surprising result is some convincing
evidence that the Gulf Stream and African
currents that help to warm northern Europe are a
less powerful influence on climate than
previously thought. The climate change horror
flick, "The Day After Tomorrow," was based on
this "thermohaline convection theory" that says
melting ice could disrupt the flow of the warming
current and actually cause Europe and New York
City to freeze (though not nearly so fast as in
the movie).

      Thompson's work shows that tropical
influences, particularly the El Nino and monsoon
cycles (which are related), are the bigger
drivers of climate change. This suggests that in
the future, the Earth's climate may resemble what
we see in El Nino years, but much more extreme.
Depending on where you are, your climate shock
could show up as either flood or drought or both
in rapid succession - a permanent El Nino from
Hell.

      My own climate shock came in 2002 when the
500,000-acre Biscuit Fire raged through the
Kalmiopsis Wilderness in southwest Oregon. I sat
in my yard and watched a huge mushroom cloud of
smoke boil up out of the wilderness. A freak wind
was blowing from the east, full of dry, hot,
desert air that pumped up the fire like a
bellows. The Kalmiopsis was a place that I deeply
loved and it will never be the same again - not
just in my lifetime, but forever. Climate change
is likely to favor new growth of chaparral and
brush over the kind of deep fir and pine forests
that got their start in a cooler age.

      Gulf Coast residents got their climate shock
this past hurricane season as warming oceans
spawned the strongest storms on record. Alaska
natives are getting their climate shock as
retreating sea ice ruins their hunting, and
melting permafrost topples their homes. Pacific
Islanders are getting it too as their atolls
flood and they flee to higher ground. And this is
just the very beginning.

[Š]

      Conditions change on Earth, and one is that
the sun has grown hotter. For most of the age of
mammals (the age that followed the dinosaurs and
their asteroid demise) the Earth was warm and no
ice formed at the poles. But as the sun grew ever
hotter, by about 2 million years ago, polar ice
caps formed and the Pleistocene began - the ice
ages. This sounds odd, but Lovelock explains it:
the Earth began to pull more CO2 out of the
atmosphere and store it in rocks and plants. Less
CO2 in the atmosphere lessened the greenhouse
effect and temperatures dropped. But because of
cyclical changes in Earth's orbit over time, the
ice ages have see-sawed back and forth between
glacial and interglacial in a series of
100,000-year cycles. A system with this much
dynamism is prone to getting knocked off balance,
and there is little doubt that that is what is
happening now: climate shock.

      A funny thing happened 2 million years ago
on the way to the ice ages. The ice caps sucked
moisture from the African forests, which withered
and withdrew from the plains. An arboreal ape
came down from the trees and began to make tools
and lose its hair. When its descendants
multiplied and started to burn fossil fuels, they
became a fever-inducing planetary infection. They
(we) are the cause of climate shock.

      Thin Ice is really the story of the
"planetary physicians," as Lovelock calls them -
the scientists like Lonnie Thompson who have
devoted their careers to taking the planet's
temperature. And now the world is getting so warm
that anyone can hold a hand to the patient's
forehead and get a sense of what is happening.

[Š]

      An international commission predicts that
there is a high likelihood that all of the
Himalayan glaciers will melt by 2035. The
Himalaya will turn black, and the Ganges and
other rivers that flow from it will dry to
seasonal streams. The 500 million people in India
who depend on water from these rivers will have
no other source. As mountain glaciers and snow
packs melt everywhere, China, the Andes and
California will face the same climate shock - no
water.

      Meanwhile, the melting ice will raise the
seas. Lonnie Thompson and other researchers are
discovering that once glaciers start to melt,
they can melt all the way to bedrock very
rapidly. If all of the Earth's mountain glaciers
were to melt, it would raise the sea level by a
foot and a half and that would be the end of
places like Bangladesh and Louisiana's bayou
country. But the polar ice caps are showing the
same tendency for rapid melting, and a mere two
degree Fahrenheit rise in global temperature
could be enough to cause a complete
disintegration. Sea levels could start rising by
3 feet every 20 years. We will have to act
quickly and drastically to avert this inundation.

      Reading Thin Ice and exposing yourself to
climate shock could help prepare you for your new
role in the greenhouse world. We will need more
planetary physicians to diagnose and prescribe,
and there will also be a need for planetary
nurses, orderlies and volunteers to pitch in
around the clock to keep the dear old lady alive.
What does this mean? Probably it will mean
changing everything about the way we live,
starting by reducing our fossil fuel consumption
now.

[Š]

--
Michael Friedman
Doctoral Candidate in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior

Molecular Systematics Laboratory
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
79th Street at Central Park West