[Marxism] Weather Underground

Philip Ferguson philip.ferguson at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jan 2 19:02:57 MST 2006

In last couple of days I've been watching (twice) a DVD documentary on
the Weather Underground.  It shows how nuts they were, but also puts it
in the perspective of radical white middle class youth being driven nuts
by the Vietnam War abroad and repression of blacks, especially the
Panthers and black inmates, at home.

It includes interviews with a number of ex-Weatherpeople today,
including Bernadine Dohrn and Bill Ayers, Paul Rudd, Brian Flanagan and
several others.  When Dohrn and Ayers surfaced, they seemed a lot wiser
politically without having renounced revolution (just understanding that
their previous path wasn't a way to get there).

I gather they are now academics involved, like a number of other
ex-members, in various liberal-progressive causes, although not really
anything that could be considered revolutionary politics.  Does anyone
know if they have anything to do with serious left groups now, or
whether they've just become well-meaning liberals.  (At least they don't
seem to have trashed the whole 60s thing, like a load of repentant
ex-lefties.)

Philip Ferguson