[Marxism] Weatherpeople

Philip Ferguson philip.ferguson at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jan 2 19:52:27 MST 2006

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

I had been looking at stuff about Kathy Boudin on the internet, so knew
that Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn had raised Chesa Boudin.

I also came across some right-wing writers, horrified that Kathy Boudin
had finally been parolled and that people like Bill Ayers were
unrepentant for having been 60s radicals and are still left-wing.

The United States is a weird country.  The desire by so many people over
there to maintain the death penalty, to keep people locked up for
decades etc is really quite extraordinary.  All that christianity in the
US and they've got the old testament 'eye for an eye' thing down
perfectly, but are pretty short on the compassionate side of
christianity.

I guess a lot of people on the left have fairly negative reminiscences
of the Weatherpeople, too, but hopefully those are not held against them
forever.

Philip Ferguson