[Marxism] Re: Weather Underground

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Mon Jan 2 22:15:28 MST 2006

My 2 cents worth  -- and not much more, having I watched the Weather stuff
from a safe distance :-) I don't mind if some comrades out there who were
closer to it want to set me straight. But anyway...

Maybe some of the Weather People were “driven nuts by the Vietnam War
abroad and repression of blacks”, but at the time it seemed to me more a
case of middle class youth caught up in a romantic, poseur kind of
“revolutionism”. I remember feeling it myself: to be a revolutionary is to
be like Huey, or Che or Ho Chi-minh. Well how does a white kid in America
do that?  I tried going to stupid, articially violent demos where small
groups threw big rocks at the cops, asking for trouble. It scared me, and I
felt like a failure, not because I hadn’t done my bit for the Third World,
but because I hadn’t lived up to the image. But at least I was sensible
enough to give it up as a bad job! It seemed to me that some of the white
student ultraleft pushed themselves into self-destructive channels instead,
and the Weather underground were part of that.