[Marxism] Mine accident was no accident

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 3 08:02:51 MST 2006

DISASTER AT THE MANNINGTON MINE
(HAZEL DICKENS) (1970s)

    We read in the paper and the radio tells
    Us to to raise our children to be miners as well.
    Oh tell them how safe the mines are today
    And to be like your daddy, bring home a big pay.

        Now don't you believe them, my boy,
        That story's a lie.
        Remember the disaster at the Mannington mine
        Where seventy-eight miners were buried alive,
        Because of unsafe conditions your daddy died.

    They lure us with money, it sure is a sight.
    When you may never live to see the daylight
    With your name among the big headlines
    Like that awful disaster at the Mannington mine.

        So don't you believe them, my boy,
        That story's a lie.
        Remember the disaster at the Mannington mine
        Where seventy-eight miners were buried alive,
        Because of unsafe conditions your daddy died.

    There's a man in a big house way up on the hill
    Far, far from the shacks where the poor miners live.
    He's got plenty of money, Lord, everything's fine
    And he has forgotten the Mannington mine.
    Yes, he has forgotten the Mannington mine.

    There is a grave way down in the Mannington mine
    There is a grave way down in the Mannington mine.
    Oh, what were their last thoughts, what were their cries
    As the flames overtook them in the Mannington mine.

        So don't you believe them, my boy,
        That story's a lie.
        Remember the disaster at the Mannington mine
        Where seventy-eight good men so uselessly died
        Oh, don't follow your daddy to the Mannington mine.

    How can God forgive you, you do know what you've done.
    You've killed my husband, now you want my son.