[Marxism] Cuba, Iran OK Peaceful Nuclear Use

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 03:51:40 MST 2006

(As Washington escalates its anti-Iranian stance, Cuba and Iran
stand together in solidarity defending the rights of the peoples
of the Third World to access to the same technologies as does the
dominant, supposedly "advanced" capitalist countries defend.)

Cuba, Iran OK Peaceful Nuclear Use

Havana, Jan 5 (Prensa Latina) The presidents of Iran, Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad, and Cuba, Fidel Castro, have rejected the proliferation
of nuclear weapons, but reaffirmed each country´s right to use
nuclear energy with peaceful goals.

In a telephone conversation, Ahmadinejad thanked his Cuban
counterpart for Havana´s positive stance over the Iranian nuclear
energy program, Iran´s IRNA official news agency stated.

He also highlighted the Cuban leader´s endurance facing arrogant
powers, clearly alluding to the US, which has maintained a financial,
economic blockade against the Island for over 45 years.

Ahmadinejad expressed satisfaction for Havana hosting the Non-aligned
Movement Meeting this year, and offered to help organizing the event,
while calling bilateral relations friendly.

For his part, Fidel Castro stated Teheran-Havana links are beneficial
for the world, particularly Latin America.

The Cuban president assured Iran, like the rest of the world
countries, “has the right to produce atomic energy with peaceful
goals, as well as access related modern technology.”

mh/dig/rob/mf

January 5, 2006 10:26 p.m. EST
Rice Warns Iran Sanctions are Near

Associated Press January 5, 2006 10:26 p.m.

WASHINGTON -- The Bush administration signaled on Thursday that time
is running out for Iran to avoid being taken before the U.N. Security
Council over its disputed nuclear program, and Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice condemned new anti-Israel remarks from Iran's
president.

"We are moving into a period of time with Iran where I think we're
going to have to, the world is going to have to make some decisions,"
Ms. Rice said.

Ms. Rice avoided declaring an end to negotiations between Tehran and
European nations that are intended to avert punishment at the U.N.
Her skepticism about progress in the talks was clear, however, and
she chose unusually blunt language to lay out the probable next step.

"When it's clear that negotiations are exhausted, we have the votes"
to take Iran before the Security Council for possible punishment, Ms.
Rice told reporters. "There is a resolution sitting there for
referral. We'll vote it."

Separately, the State Department and the White House reacted harshly
to reported remarks from Iran's new president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

The ultraconservative president said Thursday that he hoped for the
death of Israel's ailing prime minister, Ariel Sharon. It was the
latest anti-Israeli comment by Mr. Ahmadinejad, who already has drawn
international scorn for suggesting that Israel be "wiped off the
map."

"Hopefully, the news that the criminal of Sabra and Chatilla has
joined his ancestors is final," Mr. Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying
by the semi-official Iranian Students News Agency.

Mr. Sharon, as defense minister in 1982, directed Israel's ill-fated
invasion of Lebanon. An Israeli commission found him indirectly
responsible for a massacre of Palestinians in the Sabra and Chatilla
refugee camps by Christian Phalangist militiamen. State Department
spokesman Sean McCormack said Mr. Ahmadinejad's remarks were "hateful
and disgusting."

"And this is a man who wraps himself in the cloak of a peaceful
religion, Islam, and yet you hear remarks like this coming from him,"
Mr. McCormack said.

Mr. McCormack said the Iranian people "are suffering as much as
anybody else from this particular regime. This regime has isolated
the Iranian people from the rest of the world in a matter of months
-- through its actions and its statements."

In the past two months, Mr. Ahmadinejad also has called the Holocaust
a "myth" and said if Europeans insist it did occur, then they should
give some of their own land for a Jewish state, rather than the one
in the Middle East.

"I think that his continued outrageous comments only further
underscore the concerns that the international community has about
Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons," White House press secretary Scott
McClellan said.

"Iran's statements and actions only continue to further isolate
themselves from the international community," Mr. McClellan said. "If
they continue on the path that they are going, and the negotiations
continue to run their course, then we will have no option, the
international community that is, will have no option but to look to
the Security Council."

The U.S. accuses Iran of using a program to develop nuclear power
plants as a way of disguising ambitions to build nuclear weapons.
Iran denies the accusation and has threatened to resume some nuclear
research that was suspended during talks with the Europeans.

The U.S. is not a party to the talks, but is supporting European
efforts to divert Iran from pursuing technology that could be used
for bomb-making. The U.S. had no diplomatic relations with Iran after
protesters stormed the American Embassy in Tehran, the capital, in
1979 and held Americans hostage for more than a year.

The U.S. repeatedly has threatened Security Council action against
Iran, without setting any deadlines. Ms. Rice acknowledged that, but
said the latest stern language isn't mere "saber rattling."

"I don't have any doubt that at the right time, a time of our
choosing, we're going to go to the Security Council if the Iranians
are not prepared to do what they say they want to do, which is to
pursue peaceful nuclear energy," Ms. Rice said.

Copyright © 2006 Associated Press