[Marxism] A Trip To Turkey, The Palace and The Turkish Peasants

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jan 6 07:43:02 MST 2006

>Hey, this is great post!  I would appreciate references from MC, LP, or
>anybody for further study on the Empire and its legacy for modern
>Turkey.
>
>thanks.
>
>rr

To my knowledge, there is no English language version of some of the
Marxist histories of Turkey. List member Ahmet Tonak, who I could not hook
up with in Istanbul because of a combination of jet lag and distance (he
was on the European side of the city), edited something called "Turkey in
Transition" that is out-of-print unfortunately. I would also recommend "The
Politics of Permanent Crisis: Class, Ideology and State in Turkey" by
Nesecan Balkan and Sungur Savran.

While these books are by no means leftist, they would probably be useful to
read and are on my long-range reading list:

1. Stephen Kinzer, "Crescent and Star: Turkey Between Two Worlds"
2. Lord Kinross, "Ottoman Centuries"
3. Orhan Pamuk, "Istanbul"
4. Hugh Pope, "Sons of the Conquerors: The Rise of the Turkic World"

--

www.marxmail.org