[Marxism] FIGHT ON -- FOREVER

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 10:12:09 MST 2006

FROM A STILL SOMEWHAT EARLY IDAHO MOUNTAIN MORNING:  January 6 2006

Some, not all by any means, of the various discussion lists appear for the
moment to be slow -- perhaps because many feel overwhelmed by the massive
challenges at every conceivable level of human society.  Natural enough
under the circumstances, but let's not get too jaded. Keep Fighting remains
the only really effective trail to blaze and take -- if necessary as a lone
traveler, hopefully in the context of solidarity.  In any case, we are on a
River of No Return.

The basic point of this is to indicate that we have a new web page that
endeavors to honor the full and productive lives of two impressive souls in
the Save the World Business -- each of whom has just traveled into the Fog
and Beyond.  Clinton Jencks, late of the Mine-Mill union and many other
worthwhile struggles, who passed recently at San Diego -- and James Vance
Henry, human rights worker and environmentalist, who died in relative
obscurity in Nevada County, California just before Christmas.  Both are
humans who kept fighting -- each in his own way -- and each exemplifies,
along with a great many others, the Spring Waters of Example to all of us
who remain.  The page is

http://www.hunterbear.org/CLINTON%20JENCKS%201918%202005.htm

A new page on various Native matters is:

http://www.hunterbear.org/NATIVE%20LIFE,%20NATIVE%20TIMES,%20NATIVE%20SURVIV
AL.htm

A wide ranging, detailed, and full interview with me was recently done by
Bruce Hartford, intrepid webmaster of the fine site, Civil Rights Movement
Veterans -- a must visit [and extensively] and a very well organized setting
of complexity.  It is easily reachable via http://www.crmvet.org/

http://www.hunterbear.org/HUNTER%20BEAR%20INTERVIEW%20CRMV.htm

Somewhat slightly older material of mine on community
organizing/organization has been, we are pleased to say, visited extensively
on a consistent basis.  I preface that very long page with these
comments by a former student and herself a noted activist all through the
years -- an assessment of which I am quite proud:

http://www.hunterbear.org/my_combined_community_organizing.htm

>From Colia  Liddell Lafayette Clark to her list of colleagues:  9/14/05
Hi Everyone:
I received this note from Hunter Gray Bear (John Salter). Hunter Bear was my
professor at Tougaloo College and one of the sharpest organizers in both the
southern civil rights movement and labor movement in the USA. He agreed to
serve as advisor to a the newly organized Jackson, Ms NAACP North Jackson
Youth Council in 1961. This was no small decision. Under his tutorledge and
guidance and with the oversight of Medgar Wylie Evers, the North Jackson
NAACP Youth Council would produce a mass movement and the most successful
boycott of a downtown district in the deep south. Only, Ida B Wells boycott
of Memphis in the 19th century can compare. Jackson. Ms' downtown folded and
has never reopened with its string of shops and department stores. This was
no easy work and like Medgar and so many others Hunter Bear was targeted for
death. He was seriously wounded by the southern racists in a freak car
accident (point of death), beaten a number of times in demonstrations but
refused to yield even from pressure within the struggle. Those years are
detailed in a book by Hunter Bear (John R Salter) entitled: Jackson,
Mississippi: An American Chronicle of Struggle and Schism. The book is out
of print, but should be in most college libraries. Today, Hunter Bear has
returned to his native land in the West and to his Native roots to continue
organizing and building grass roots struggle and a new generation of
youthful organizers.
Hear him for he worthy to be heard.
Colia L. Clark

A section of that page, "What Makes a Damn Good Community Organizer," has
now been reprinted in a number of journals and will be used by me, with
other handouts, when I give this year's annual ecumenical Martin Luther King
Day address for Pocatello and the broad surrounding area.

We hear now from many fine friends -- some of many years and many new.  A
good number are former students from Tougaloo College [Mississippi], Navajo
Community College [now Dine' or Dineh College [Navajo Nation], and
University of North Dakota.  These and other settings were locations, each
in its own way, of worthy struggle on behalf of a full measure of
bread-and-butter and a full measure of liberty.  The other day -- in what I
suppose is a rather unusual marriage proposal -- I asked my dear companion
of 45 years, Eldri [Rock of our Family], if she will marry me yet again,
next time around.

"After all," said I, "It's much more than likely that we traveled together
to the Columbia and Snake River country in the early part of the 19th
Century for the Far Western fur trade -- and, this time, we got to the
Bloody South and a million other crucibles."

She remained a bit poker-faced, so I pushed gently, "What do you say?"

She promised an open mind but she's still thinking it over.

Anyway, from the mountains of Eastern Idaho -- and the contemporary Snake
River -- our very best to all of you.

Hunter Gray [Hunter Bear]

HUNTER GRAY  [HUNTER BEAR/JOHN R SALTER JR]   Mi'kmaq /St. Francis
Abenaki/St. Regis Mohawk
www.hunterbear.org
Protected by Na´shdo´i´ba´i´
 and Ohkwari'

Check out our big page on the art and practice of Community Organizing
http://www.hunterbear.org/my_combined_community_organizing.htm

remembering way. [Hunter Bear]