[Marxism] Bolivia's ABC

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sat Jan 7 07:25:52 MST 2006

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:6 Jan 2006, a las 10:28

> That national struggles arise from
> the class struggle and give expression to the interests of classes is
> like, duh.... But the "national" character of this isn't just
> decorative, the *forms* are important and it takes a long and
> complicated process for the class questions and interests involved to
> play out and reveal themselves. Attempting to short circuit that
> process by going straight to the proletarian revolution *will not
> work.* I believe the course proposed by the comrades is tantamount to
> trying to make a revolution in Bolivia *without* or *against* its
> indigenous peasant and informal sector (displaced peasant) majority.

If we were debating on, say, Argentina 1950, or Brazil today, I would
not care to add these words to Joaquín's sensible reply.

But I think that when we talk about _Bolivia_ (of all countries) and
we think that the "national" character of the struggle can even
happen to be something like decorative, and  someone has to take to
task and explain that it isn't, then something is wrong at the most
general level of perception.

To put it in a single sentence:  the American Embassy in Bolivia is
more powerful than the local government.

If this does not make the "national" issue the basic issue, and not
only a "form", as Joaquín explains, but partly a "contents" of the
struggle (this verbiage is a concession to Aristotle, quite
Parmenidean to my taste, but let it be so), then I am afraid nothing
will.

I repeat:  the US EMBASSY is stronger than the BOLIVIAN HOUSE OF
GOVERNMENT.

Allow me to put it in an absurd way:  what would the American working
class do if some other country's embassy (say, China) were stronger
than the White House?  What would the American revolutionaries take
as a central point of their own struggle?

Please, comrades, let us stick to basic facts.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]