[Marxism] Lüko's mistake

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sat Jan 7 08:31:13 MST 2006

I share almost everything in Lüko's recent posting on Bolivia.  But there is a mistake.

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:7 Jan 2006, a las 6:22

Lüko:

>    To cite the latest. The conflict comes with the sale of water
> supplies to a French company, and of the gas to a number of
> international corporations.

This is _the_ mistake, which is not attributable to Lüko nor to any
other cde.  The conflict _dragged along_ all the neo-liberal period
that started in 1985, and exploded and thus _gained international
notoriety_ (that is why so many believe it began with the "water
war") with the popular upheavals.

And the core of the conflict did not lie in whether Bolivians should
pay more or less for water but on whether imperialists would still
bleed the country dry by whatever means.  Water companies were the
weaker link.  Now, Bolivians are struggling against their main enemy,
that is oil and gas companies.

This can't be done lightly, nor in a couple of days.  The Angolan
example fits the scenario very well.  But also take into account that
Bolivia will (hopefully) soon join the Petroamerica proposition of
Chávez, so that things may have a great change in a matter of months.

The very _comment_ by Morales that he will put the Bolivian state at
the center of the price negotiations on gas is a strike to the oil
monopolies, and the first concrete result of the 54% he gathered in
the last election.  His team plans to use the gas and oil to
industrialize the country, which would become a Copernican
transformation in South American geography and history.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]