[Marxism] The latest round of debate on Evo...

Brian Shannon brian_shannon at verizon.net
Sat Jan 7 20:07:03 MST 2006

On Jan 7, 2006, at 9:53 PM, Joaquín Bustelo wrote:

> Johannes Wilm: "By why would it precisely ones nationality that
> would be
> the deciding factor? I really have seen no proof yet that
> nationalities
> really exist as non-ambigous groups."
>
> If 500 years of genocide have not succeeded in wiping out the
> indigenous
> peoples of the Americas, I doubt greatly this will accomplish it.
>
> The national movements of oppressed peoples against YOUR imperialisms
> are real. Deal with it.
>
> Joaquín

These are indeed some of the "unique" specifics (see the argument
between Dick Fidler and me) of each part of the world occupied and
transformed by imperialism and also of the nations and ethnicities
that exist within the imperialist countries. This is not reducible to
biology or DNA, but is engraved in the consciousness not only of the
oppressed group but in the minds of the oppressors.

Revolutionary politics is above all about the development of
consciousness, which itself is rooted not only in the layers of
class, but also ethnicity or consciousness.

Your goal may be to feel free of this and you may have, or believe
you have, succeeded. You possibly have friends who feel the same. Now
look around you; read some of the volumes of writings on this
subject; and attempt to relearn it again but at a higher level.

The two sides in Ireland are unquestionably of the same stock, but
you need only learn the name of the "other" and you and they have a
preformed picture of who each is.

Brian