[Marxism] Hicks to run for New York Governor

Sander Hicks sander at voxpopnet.net
Sat Jan 7 20:28:04 MST 2006

please come out to Vox Pop 1/13/06 because:

INDEPENDENT PUBLISHER/AUTHOR SANDER HICKS RUNS FOR GOVERNOR
  Maverick Media Activist is a Hot Contender for the New York Green
Party's Nomination

On Friday, January 13th, at 7 PM, media maverick Sander Hicks will
take the stage at Vox Pop, his fair-trade, union-shop, coffeehouse,
and announce his run for the Governorship of New York State. A member
of the Green Party, and a New Yorker since 1991, Hicks will announce
his three-point platform, a vision of "Peace, Truth and Sanity."

As founder of two independent media companies, Hicks vowed to
continue his fight against the corporate consolidation of big media,
a monopoly that deprives people of the information they need to make
sound choices.

The Nazis at Nuremburg were prosecuted for wars of aggression. To
keep the New York National Guard on the right side of the law, as
governor, Hicks will recall them from the illegal occupation of Iraq.

Hicks' program calls for an independent investigation into the 9/11
attack, through a new Governor/Attorney General's Joint Task Force to
work with citizen's watch groups and Hicks's own contacts among
members of Congress. Hicks vowed to make New York State a leader in
Universal Healthcare. As an anti-racist activist for Long Island
coalition UPSERJ, Hicks learned how to dismantle the institutional
racism and anti-immigrant hate that continues to damage the American
social fabric. In fact, Hicks believes that the racism that the USA
has been plagued with historically has only been exacerbated by the
era of fear, paranoia, and down-sized civil liberties ushered in by
the 9/11 attacks.

Hicks vows to fight economic inequality through State-sponsored
entrepreneurship training and seed capital. "As a two-time
entrepreneur, I have been shocked at how little support the State's
'Small Business Services' provide." With a Teddy Roosevelt-esque
trust-busting spirit, Hicks goes a step further, "Our economy is
increasingly built up against the little guy, the mom and pop shops.
We've got to stop our towns and cities from giving tax breaks to the
big box stores and the Wal-Marts, which are crushing the life out of
the system. This economy thrives on competition and quality service,
not by giving breaks to the mega-corporations."

Hicks testified recently to the New York State Board of Elections on
the issue of electronic voting machines, which are on the verge of
coming to New York state. "We must fight election fraud in New York.
We have to refuse insecure electronic voting machines. On my recent
book tour, people nation-wide told me how terrified they are about
losing their power, their ability to vote."

Hicks doesn't mince words about current Gubernatorial front-runner,
NY Attorney General Elliott Spitzer, "Spitzer showed his true colors
when he stopped investigating corporate corruption on Wall Street.
Activists in New York City begged Spitzer to undertake a real
investigation into 9/11, into the homicide of almost 3,000 people,
and yet he refused. He started out idealistic and crusading, but he's
turned into political mush."

On January 13th, Hicks will be joined on stage by folksinger Holley
Anderson, and political comedian Ravi Kisoon.

Hicks is nationally-known thanks to Cinemax movie "Horns and Halos"
which documented his gutsy media battle against G.W. Bush from
1999-2001, fought through Hicks' re-publishing of a controversial
Bush biography, Fortunate Son. The book was the first to point out
the connection between the Bush and Bin Laden families, and on 9/11,
it proved painfully prescient.

More info: www.hicksforgovernor.com, www.sanderhicks.com, www.voxpopnet.net

Sander Hicks is one of the most colorful media activists of his
generation. He has appeared on HBO/Cinemax numerous times over the
past couple years in the independent publishing saga, "Horns and
Halos" which documented Hicks's heroic attempts to get the truth out
about G.W.Bush. His new book, The Big Wedding (Vox Pop, 2005) breaks
new ground on the little-known history that lead to 9/11, and on the
US intelligence whistle-blowers who tried to stop it. Hicks has
written feature articles for the Long Island Press, reviewed the 9/11
Commission Report for the New York Press, and broke key news stories
on INN World Report Television (FSTV, Dish Network). From 2001-2002
he worked as an anti-poverty activist for UPSERJ, on Long Island. In
1996, he founded Soft Skull Press, Inc. He has worked on Wall Street,
as a playwright for Playwrights Horizons and New Dramatists, and as a
shift manager at Kinko's. He was recently elected, in a landslide, to
lead the Cortelyou Road Merchants Association, in Flatbush, Brooklyn.
There, in Flatbush, with his wife Holley Anderson, he runs Vox
Pop/DKMC a media company and coffeehouse. Hicks and Anderson are
proud parents of their son, Coleman Elias Anderson Hicks.

Contact: Alex Crowley * alex at voxpopnet.net * 718 940 2084

--
Sander Hicks
Chief Instigator