[Marxism] Double standard

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jan 11 06:51:30 MST 2006

Orange County Register, Thursday, September 23, 2004
The governor won't accept driver's ID for illegal immigrants without a
special mark.
By JOHN GITTELSOHN

SACRAMENTO – Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed a bill Wednesday that would
have allowed illegal immigrants to get a driver's license, saying it failed
to address his concerns for national security.

"One of the most important duties of the governor of a state is to protect
its citizens," Schwarzenegger's veto message said. "Determining the true
identity and history of an individual is a key component of that protection."

The bill failed to provide those protections, Schwarzenegger had said,
because illegal immigrant driver's licenses would look the same as those
issued to legal California residents. Schwarzenegger wanted a
distinguishing mark, a demand proponents of the bill called discriminatory
and some even compared to the Stars of David that Jews were forced to wear
in Adolf Hitler's Germany.

Immigrant activists said Schwarzenegger's veto broke a vow to reach a
solution that would have let an estimated 2 million undocumented immigrants
drive legally.

The bill's author accused Schwarzenegger and his staff of "bad-faith
bargaining." State Sen. Gilbert Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, said, "For several
months, he has told the Legislature and the media thathe is working hard on
the issue and yet never went beyond speaking in generalities or calling for
a discriminatory mark."

===

Sacramento Bee, January 11, 2006
Governor 'never thought' to get license
By Laura Mecoy -- Bee Los Angeles Bureau

LOS ANGELES - Despite years of cruising Pacific Coast Highway on his
motorcycles, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Tuesday he'd never stopped to
consider he needed a special license to ride a two-wheeler on California roads.

"I just never really got one," the former actor said. "I never thought
about it."

He said he had a driver's license when he lived in Europe to drive
motorcycles, motorcycles with sidecars, trucks and tanks.

"When I came over here, in the beginning I used that," he said. "And, you
know, I just never really applied for it, and it was just one of those
things that I never thought about it."

Schwarzenegger was cited at least once before - in 1983 - for driving a
Jeep without a valid driver's license after an accident, according to press
accounts at the time. In those reports, his spokesman said it had expired
while he was in Mexico making a movie.

Margita Thompson, his press secretary, said she couldn't comment on that
incident because it was long before she began working for Schwarzenegger.
But she said the governor "has absolutely acknowledged he needs" to get a
motorcycle license.

--

www.marxmail.org