[Marxism] Re: Nuclear power

Rod Holt rholt at planeteria.net
Sat Jan 14 02:24:25 MST 2006

Brian and Tom raise points which are tangential. The first over-riding
consideration is embodied in the slogan "No Nukes Under Capitalist
Control! For Nuclear Power under Social Control!" Secondly, the thorium
cycle obviates the need for uranium mining altogether. The only reason
for fooling with uranium is a.) the enrichment process can be used to
make bombs (of use to certain capitalist powers) and b.) as a source of
neutrons to get thorium to start "burning." As I pointed out on this
list, there already exists more than enough uranium and plutonium to
keep this planet humming for nearly a century. Mining is not the issue -
except for bomb-makers.
      --rod

Brian Shannon wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Tom O'Lincoln wrote:
>
>> David W writes:
>> "The fact is that historically the main reason for opposing nukes was
>> chance of a meltdown. That 'chance' has now been so far reduced, "

[snip]

>> In Australia the issues were and are posed differently.

[snip]

>> The argument here centres on uranium mining, which is still  restricted,
>> again because of the earlier campaigns. The nuclear industry, seeing a
>> likely increase in demand, is now trying to get rid of those
>> restrictions. They're also arguing the merits of nuclear power, but I
>> don't think they seriously expect to build power stations here (the
>> Australian public is aware enough to immediately ask where the waste
>> would go) -- it's more about legitimising export of uranium to be used
>> elsewhere.

[snip]