[Marxism] Guerrillas

Brian Shannon brian_shannon at verizon.net
Sun Jan 15 12:23:39 MST 2006

On Jan 15, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> So what is your explanation? That they were on the FBI's payroll
> like Ed Heisler?

I wrote an answer to you because you seem to go well beyond replying
to a conspiracy theory. You appear to accept Little and Bortin's
rationalizations with a certain degree of sympathy. You also seem to
explain what happened to Patty Hearst and why she identified with the
SLA as being a natural development of the same period. Of course it
dovetailed with it. But there is always something going on sometime
that is in the background of vicious criminal activity. What did
Vietnam have to do with the murder of Marcus Foster, with which
Little was involved.

On the other hand, the only conspiracy necessary is for the
government to see that DeFreeze's psychopathic personality won over
some other nuts, who had come to the psychiatric prison ward where he
was held.

Why not let him loose—with his friends? Who could it hurt?

This is also a period in which some leftists decided that mental
illness didn't exist, that it was all part of capitalist oppression.

Do you remember the case of Hedda Nussbaum and Joel Steinberg and the
murder of Lisa Steinberg in 1987. Those who are unfamiliar should
Google those names for further information. At about the same time
another case popped up of an equally strange man who killed his wife
when she found out about some of his activities. A woman, not unlike
Little and Bortin and friends, came to visit him in prison and
against the advice of all her friends married the guy, I believe
while in prison.

Nussbaum was a successful editor, well liked and respected. Her
friends were surprised that she could have been dominated by
Steinberg. However, as we have learned, much of it from the Women's
Movement and its legacy in programs for battered women, no one today
should be surprised at what happened to Nussbaum and to Patty Hearst.

There is a real conspiracy going on here of course. The conspiracy of
Little and Bortin to convince others, and perhaps themselves, that
they after all were not that abnormal. The Devil, i.e., the Vietnam
War, made them do it.

By the way, both Little and Bortin were good students. I am sure that
they are studying just what to write in order to blend a rational
explanation of their past with just the right amount of remorse,
hopefully to get paroled or at least confirm their status as model
prisoners.

Brian