[Marxism] LA Times on the UFW

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Mon Jan 16 08:51:06 MST 2006

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 01/14/06 2:57 PM >>>
I didn't know that Cesar Chavez' anticommunism
purged so many organizers.
Yoshie Furuhashi
<<<<<>>>>>

ufw in florida is often ignored part of union's history, union
signed historic contract with coca cola in early 70s covering
workers in its orange groves (company owns minute maid),
maintained contract for a couple of decades, coca cola
sold all of its groves in the 90s (a lot of minute maid oj
no longer comes from florida oranges, but from central
american and brazil)...

minute maid contract was only one ufw ever had in florida
(a so-called 'right to work' state) until it signed a contract
with quincy farms 5-6 years ago convering mushroom workers...

while my own experience was always indirect (i was part of
students for farmworkers in early 70s at university of florida,
worked in various ways with florida farmworker alliance for
quite a few years), couple of friends were ufw organizers in
florida (belle glade) in late 70s/early 80s, they talked about
the kinds of things that appear in the los angeles times story...

among other things, talk of leftist politics was off-limits, one
of my friends - now dead - was cp member run off because
of his politics...   michael hoover
Please Note:
Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written communications to or from College employees regarding College business are public records, available to the public and media upon request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.