[Marxism] Bolivia (was something else with too many exclamation points)

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Mon Jan 16 11:31:55 MST 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:47:38 -0500 (GMT-05:00), rrubinelli wrote:

> The issues, rather, are:
> 1. is Bolivia in a period of revolutionary struggle?

  It seems so.

> 2. Are there embryonic organs of workers/poor rule?

  I haven't noticed any.

> 3. Are such structures necessary?

  Yes.

> 4. Will such organs need to expand, develop, strengthen
> and becomes centers of, temporarily, dual power?

  That depends on the course of the struggle, and of the primary
condition that such organs come into being. The Cuban revolution e.g.
did not have such organs creating dual power.

> 5. Is there an alternative to such class division, class rule
> that resolves the conflicts of Bolivian society?

   ????

> Initial tactics include the demand for the constituent assembly,
> the real constituent assembly,

  that is part of Evo Morales' program, as far as I understand.

> and nationalization of the petroleum industries productive
> assets, not just reserves, but extractive and transport
> pipeline structures.

  this too, but beware that nationalization can take very different
forms, and that you might not recognize it under its deguise. Remember
also that the nationalization of the Venezuelan oil was in form, but not
in content, and that the nationalization of the land in e.g. Cuba was
privatization on form, just as happend in the Russian revolution. A
myriad of petty proprietors had been created, but none of them could buy
and sell their land titles.

> Let me pose a question to the supporters of the "national salvation"
> program:  Should Marxists organizations,  enter the Morales
> government?

  Depends. Morales got an absolute majority in the elections, and he is
one of the main representatives and leaders of the mass struggles of the
past years. So it depends on how he intends to use his presidents
office.

> Should Marxists except portfolios in such a government for
> the implementation and administration of the MAS programs?

  That depends too on the concrete situation. Here, from my far away
post as observer, I would not be able to come to hard decisions. It
might be useful, it might be detrimental. There is no universal formula
which solves all and every problem on the earth.

  In 1923, workers and farmers governments came into being in two German
federal states in the form of parliamentary coalition governments of the
Social Democratic and Communist parties. But an important part of the
common platform was strengthening the role of workers self defences
groups...

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany