[Marxism] Bush: Trending Up Again

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 17 01:26:21 MST 2006

Jim is right that Bush is still in the historical low range, and Mark
is right that lack of Congressional opposition means that disaffected
conservatives are likely to backslide.

I just find the timing of the seeming uptick worrisome.

The New York Times, after having sat on the story of Bush's NSA
wiretapping without warrants for about a year, finally came out with
it in mid-December.  Far from getting embarrassed, the White House
went on the offensive, having the Justice Department investigate the
leak and claiming that "Congress implicitly authorized the NSA
program when it enacted the Authorization for Use of Military Force
(AUMF) against al-Qaeda, Pub. L. No. 107-40, 115 Stat. 224
(2001)" (at <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/18650>).  If that's not
a moment that makes citizens worry about a creeping police state
(especially considering that Bush's nominee after John Roberts is
Samuel Alito), what is?  But if there is any huge outcry among
activists about this, I missed it.  Also, this is the moment when
Bush began to climb back out of the hole.

Yoshie Furuhashi
<http://montages.blogspot.com>
<http://monthlyreview.org>
<http://mrzine.org>