[Marxism] Brokeback Mountain exploitation

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 17 08:22:09 MST 2006

In my review of this film, I provided a link to
ennislovedjack.blogspot.com, which contained the Proulx story that the film
was based on. Not long afterwards, a comment showed up on my own blog
complaining that ennislovedjack.blogspot.com had disappeared. In addition,
the link to the New Yorker archives, where the story was once available for
free, had disappeared even earlier on. This indicated that intellectual
property rights were being asserted in a rather aggressive fashion.
Yesterday I discovered why the publishers (and Ms. Proulx I assume) were so
anxious to prevent you from reading the story on the Internet. In my
neighborhood Barnes and Nobel bookstore, I spotted a new edition of the
story in a special addition capitalizing on the film's popularity. The
stars of the movie were on the front cover. In the past, the story could be
read as part of a collection titled "Close Range: Wyoming Stories,"
something that is generally not available in bookstores. But at least you
could be getting your money's worth by buying the 250+ page book. The price
for the standalone version of "Brokeback Mountain" is $10, however.
Considering the fact that the story is about 20 pages, you are paying about
10 times what it used to cost.

--

www.marxmail.org