[Marxism] Bin Laden quotes...William Blum?!

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Fri Jan 20 09:43:06 MST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:31:23 -0500, M. Junaid Alam wrote:

> Doesn't really sound like typical bin Laden to me, but I suppose any
> clever propagandist can change his tune...the real question is, why
> would bin Laden issue this kind of speech which, give or take a few
> references to God, could pass for standard fare leftist rhetoric,
> given its references to the class nature of US society and
> citation from ex-state department long-time leftist William Blum?

  I don't know who this William Blum is, but I disagree with most of
what one can read above, except M. Junaid Alam's feeling that it does
not sound typically bin Laden to him. His feeling.

  But I don't see any hint that Bin Laden makes a difference between the
ruling class in the USA and the working people.

  He is threatening with further terrorist attacks, and sticks to the
strategy of terrorizing the people into submission. Look at his proud
references to the bombings in Europen transit systems:

-------- cut -----------------

the mujahideen (holy warriors), with God's grace, have managed
repeatedly to penetrate all security measures adopted by the unjust
allied countries. The proof of that is the explosions you have seen in
the capitals of the European nations who are in this aggressive
coalition.

------------- off -----------

  and his threat of further mass terror in the USA:

-------- cut -----------------

The delay in similar operations happening in America has not been
because of failure to break through your security measures. The
operations are under preparation and you will see them in your homes the
minute they are through (with preparations), with God's permission.
--------------- off -------------------

  and his perspective is not of an alliance with the working people of
the USA or even just an antiwar movement, but terrorizing them into
accepting his "truce", of which he doesn't explain any condition:

-------- cut------------------------
war in Iraq is raging with no let-up, and operations in Afghanistan are
escalating in our favor, thank God, and Pentagon figures show the number
of your dead and wounded is increasing not to mention the massive
material losses, the destruction of the soldiers' morale there and the
rise in cases of suicide among them. So you can imagine the state of
psychological breakdown that afflicts a soldier as he gathers the
remains of his colleagues after they stepped on land mines that tore
them apart. After this situation the soldier is caught between two hard
options. He either refuses to leave his military camp on patrols and is
therefore dogged by ruthless punishments enacted by the Vietnam Butcher
(U.S. army) or he gets destroyed by the mines. This puts him under
psychological pressure, fear and humiliation while his nation is
ignorant of that (what is going on). The soldier has no solution except
to commit suicide. That is a strong message to you, written by his soul,
blood and pain, to save what can be saved from this hell. The solution
is in your hands if you care about them (the soldiers).

  I do not see any "leftist" in Bin Laden's address.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany